Saturday, June 4, 2011

{ A Black Apple Doll for Sophie }

About two weeks ago I did a post entitled Ideas for Simple Handmade Kid Gifts, well here is my first completion of one of the ideas listed there. A Black Apple Doll for Miss Sophie, a friend who recently turned two; we're looking forward to celebrating with her this weekend.
For the record, I am not one of the blogging geniuses who crafts and sews amazing things. I'm just a beginner hoofing it with the rest of you beginners out there. In light of this, I would like to keep a tally. This Black Apple Doll is my fourth sewing project (two in classes and this is my second solo project), so as with anything handmade there are plenty of quirks.
Here's the tutorial I used: Black Apple Doll on Martha Stewart.

This is the original doll template that I printed out from my computer.





Then I went to Kinko's and enlarged the template 150% like the instructions said to do.

The blonde Black Apple Doll was made by my friend Paige for Phoebe for her second birthday, she enlarged the template to 200%. I enlarged my template to 150% and then added 1/2" to all of my pattern pieces because it seemed like the doll was going to be a little small, that's why my proportions are a little different from Paige's doll. I also took a little artistic liberty with the hair so it would be a little bit more like the real Sophie's curly hair.

These are the fabrics I used: canvas for the body, 30% wool felt and two woven prints.  Once I had all of my fabrics together, I cut my template and then started cutting my fabric pieces.

I used a seem gage and a sewing marker, the technical name I'm sure, to enlarge all of my pieces by 1/2".


For the arms, legs and body I made sure to trace them and cut them on folded material so that I would have two matching pieces. The image above shows how I got the front and back of one leg.


Here are all of my pieces cut out and ironed with front and back pieces attached to each other.

Multiple steps came together between the last picture and this: I sewed the hair on to the face. Next I sewed both the front and the back of the head on to the body pieces. I also created a little Sophie name tag with a piece of yellow knit fabric from a t-shirt and fabric paint; then I sewed it onto the dress with a fun turquoise thread in a zig zag stitch. I also sewed all of the arms and legs together and them flipped then right side out as the picture shows.



Next, using embroidery floss and a needle I hand stitched a face and attached the hair bow.
It was getting late, and I forgot to take pictures of the rest of the steps but I'll briefly fill you in on the process.

Once I had the face done, I was ready to sew the doll together. First I stuffed the arms and legs and then I pinned them folded inward. Now, in hindsight I realize that I was supposed to pin the arms and legs inward toward the body, see step seven on tutorial 2, and then pin the second body piece on top in two steps so that the doll would be inside out. Instead, I sandwiched the arms and legs inward and then pinned; I think that this method - or the time of night - may have been a leading cause in me having to sew the arms and legs on a couple of times since not all of the pieces were completely sewn into the original seem.

When I finally sewed all of the arms and legs completely into the seems, made a little tricky by the fact that the arms and legs were stuffed adding bulk to the doll, I had an inside out doll. Next, I pulled the legs and arms out of the little opening left in the head and I had an unstuffed doll. Finally, I stuffed my doll before sewing the head completely shut. I did all of this on my machine, it may have been easier to do by hand but I have an aversion to sewing with my hands - I'm somewhat scared of it for many silly reasons.

In the end, at 1 am, little Sophie was completed! Ta da!




I know that a lot of you have made these dolls and variations of them, my girlfriend Brooke made a mermaid version, email me the pictures of your variations and I'd love to share them with the other readers. I'd also love any tips you have that you thought were helpful when you made your doll.

In the end, I'm pleased with my final product. It's not perfect, but neither am I. I hope that Sophie loves it as much as my girls did when they first saw it. Happy Birthday Sophie!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...